Thursday, January 3, 2008

Fire and Ice

I wrote this for Jeremy for our first anniversary in October of 2001. It explains how two people who are so different can need each other. I am a fire astrological sign (Leo) and he's a water sign (Pisces) and people used to tell us it would never work because of that...yeah, stupid.. I know :)

I am fire
Sometimes I burn slow and sultry
Seducing you with flickering fingers
On cold nights I dance and laugh
Giving warmth to the heart, body, and soul
However, when left to my own devices
I turn into a raging inferno
Desiring to consume, control and overpower
Making other bend to my will
My resolution is unwavering
But hidden deep within is fear
My own strength terrifies me
I search for the one to calm me
Who understands my fury
The One who does not run when I rage

You are water
Your thundering on the shore is mesmerizing
On hot days you quench thirst
And all are drawn to your serene surface
You are slow to anger, but when stirred
Your fury is frightening
All are crushed under your waves
However, you are easily calmed
And once again return to serenity
You are placid and slow moving
You search for the one to make you boil
Who understands your fury
The one who breaks the boredom of your glass surface

Fire cannot live without water
Water cannot live without fire
I make you boil with passion
You are the only one who calms me
Rarely does our fury collide
But when it does others run in fear
Sometimes your calmness stifles me
Occasionally my roaring annoys you
We are opposite
You and I
But our goals are the same
Harmony is what we desire most
To achieve that we need each other
We need the differences to balance each other
In the end, I cannot live without you
And, I hope, you cannot live without me.

Kitty Ferguson
Oct. 2001, for our first anniversary

No comments: