Thursday, January 3, 2008

From the depths

Ok, after that funny one, I have to share my most depressing poem. It tries to convey the thoughts that go through my head when I am depressed. Thank god for drugs! lol

I cannot move
I cannot leave this room
Every limb feels like stone
I cannot move one bone
No thought will form
So no hope can be born
I nestle deep in my womb of misery
My blanket warm and heavy
Part of me loves to languish
In this terribly sweet anguish

Children stumble around me
They make sounds of gaiety
At least that’s what it seems to me
But I could be having half lucid dreams
Through the haze I realize these children are mine
That they have been there for quite some time

However, I cannot move
I cannot leave this room

I hear the frenzied chatter escalate
They probably think they are too late
That I have long gone
To that land far beyond

But wait!

I feel a spark
Out here in the dark
I do not know what motivates me
To throw off the blanket of misery
But I start to crawl up through the mud
Drawing ever closer to the distant sun
I exhume from my self imposed grave
And feel no longer enslaved
I have clambered up from the depths
And now force myself to take a few breaths
For a moment I lay there waking
With my whole body quaking
The demon is temporarily at rest
For my children, this is best
But someday soon
I will again be not able to move
Not able to leave my room

Kitty Ferguson 2004

No comments: